Solar Panels are most popular in solar photovoltaic (electric) and Solar thermal (hot water) versions.
Northburn Solar is one of the first installers in the country who can now offer solar PVT combined thermal and electric panels and the hybrid solar PVT and heat pump solutions.
Below is an overview on each technology:
There are three main types of panel
Thin Film - Amorphous Silicon
PV cells are made from layers of semi-conducting material, usually silicon. When light shines on the cell it creates an electric field across the layers. The stronger the sunshine, the more electricity is produced. Groups of cells are mounted together in panels or modules that can be mounted on your roof.
The power of a PV cell is measured in kilowatts peak (kWp). That's the rate at which it generates energy at peak performance in full direct sunlight during the summer. PV cells come in a variety of shapes and sizes. Most PV systems are made up of panels that fit on top of an existing roof, but you can also fit solar tiles.
There are two types of solar water heating panels:
- evacuated tubes
- flat plate collectors (as in the picture to right), which can be fixed on the roof tiles or integrated into the roof.
Larger solar panels can also be arranged to provide some contribution towards heating your home or swimming pool systems. Significant savings can be made by pre heating water with these systems.
- Hybrid technology which combines, monocrystalline photovoltaics and a high efficiency solar thermal collector.
- A simple low cost, low maintenance energy solution able to facilitate the government’s zero-carbon strategy.
- Higher output efficiency at lower temperatures than equivalent monocrystalline PV.
- Space saving as only one panel is required to produce both heat and electricity.
- Greatly improved paybacks in generally about eight years when taking into account Feed-In Tariff and proposed Renewable Heat Incentive rates and factoring in the avoided electricity and heating bills.
- Low maintenance &, unlike heat pumps, wind turbines or other renewable sources of energy, virtually fit and forget.
- Providing opportunities to most residential and light commercial low energy buildings to reach zero-carbon.
- Northburn Solar are one of a few installer nationwide with experience of PVT system.
Tel 01670 336570